Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 6, 2010

If we don’t, who will? « Failing Schools

If we don’t, who will? « Failing Schools

If we don’t, who will?

DECEMBER 6, 2010
by Sabrina

Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things. – Russell Baker

I keep a note on my computer. It reads, “If I don’t, who will?”

"I said, 'Somebody should do something about that.' Then I realized, I am Somebody." -Lily Tomlin

A little worn, but the message is clear.

It summarizes a lot about how I think about life; while it’s good and right to trust in (most) other people, it’s not a good idea to assume they will magically get around to doing some thing or another that I think should be done. If I take something seriously enough to complain about it, then I should take it seriously enough to dosomething about it.

It’s pretty obvious that that’s how I feel about improving public education. Quality education for all is tremendously important to our individual and collective well-being; large-scale mis-education threatens us just as much. So, a