Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Noticings and Wonderings from the Fringe � Failing Schools

Noticings and Wonderings from the Fringe � Failing Schools

Noticings and Wonderings from the Fringe

OCTOBER 30, 2010
by mariasallee

It appears that central administration groups have been coaching administrators to use a certain language of nebulous buzz-phrases in their interactions with teachers. Maybe such language was adopted to soften the perception of criticism. I decided to ironically borrow the touchy-feely language in vogue with many districts to pose some of my own noticings and wonderings. I speak, of course, more specifically with regards to urban districts. The ‘you’ I am speaking to is more likely an admin type, but, hey, if the shoe fits feel free to walk in it a bit.

  • I notice that when I write “noticings” and “wonderings” that the spell check goes on alert. I wonder why a school district would so enthusiastically adopt words that might not really exist in the dictionary, yet.
  • I noticed there is an inverse relationship between a person’s salary and said person’s direct