Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 30, 2010

He’s not waiting for Superman. He’s waiting to exhale. | The Education Report

He’s not waiting for Superman. He’s waiting to exhale. | The Education Report

He’s not waiting for Superman. He’s waiting to exhale.

By Katy Murphy
Saturday, October 30th, 2010 at 10:36 am in school reform, teachers

Jamal Cooks, a San Francisco State University professor of education and former Oakland teacher, has mixed feelings about “Waiting for Superman.” He says people know what makes a great school; he wants to see less talk and more action.

On Monday, I went to a matinee to watch “Waiting for Superman.” Though I had heard that the movie bashed public schools and promoted charter schools as the answer to the problem, I went into the show with an open mind. When I walked out, I had mixed emotions about the film.

As a former teacher, director of after school programs, coordinator of mentoring programs, and a professor of teacher education, I watched the movie intently and hung on every word. I am a public school educator, a public school product, and a public school advocate. I have spent 20 years working for and with students who have challenging home lives, come from rough neighborhoods, and lack some resources, but who want the same education as the next person.

In fact, my daughter will be starting kindergarten soon, and with the local public school’s API scores under 800, I want public schools to work. However, there are some real facts that must be acknowledged before moving forward for equitable education for all students.

Read the rest of this entry »