Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Blog U.: Naming Assumptions - University of Venus - Inside Higher Ed

Blog U.: Naming Assumptions - University of Venus - Inside Higher Ed
  • Naming Assumptions

    By Rosalie Arcala Hall September 8, 2010 10:00 pm

    For women in the academy, one’s name is akin to a passport which under no circumstance must you tamper with. Your reputation as a scholar is attached to your name, which when subjected to a Google search, may yield only a few or a substantial number of hits depending on if it is correctly remembered or spelled. Unlike men, marriage pressures women to decide whether or not to make this changed civil status a separate “name reality” from their professional one. It is a tough choice to make.

    Within my age and professional cohorts, I am a statistical outlier. First, I wanted a name that reflects a connection to my husband, a fact that some of my more liberal colleagues find counterintuitive. I also wanted my maiden surname spelled out to honor my local roots. Upon