Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

This Week In Education: Thompson: Bring Back The "Culture Of Poverty" Debate

This Week In Education: Thompson: Bring Back The "Culture Of Poverty" Debate

Thompson: Bring Back The "Culture Of Poverty" Debate

MoynihanIt has been 33 years since my advisor told me to delete the words "culture of poverty" from my dissertation -- even though I was referring to White sharecroppers. Using the phrase could kill my career, I was told. So you can imagine my reaction to ETS’s outstanding new report, When Progress Stopped, which is dedicated to Daniel Patrick Moynihan and his "prescient warning" about the decline of the Black family. After the




Video Interlude: "Have You Seen Junior's Grades?"

Ok, everyone. Take a deep breath. Time for a video interlude in the midst of all the edujobs craziness (and the spat between the White House and lefty columnists) for a fuzzy little retro Van Halen video called And The Cradle Will Rock that features the famous line, "Have you seen Junior's grades?".