Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Are You Recession-Proof? � InterACT

Are You Recession-Proof? � InterACT

Are You Recession-Proof?

Recently I came across an article written by an older teacher in Slate magazine lamenting her job loss due to the hiring of a younger, more energetic teacher. The author, Beth Aviv, did good job conveying her sense of foreboding, anxiety, and ultimate disappointment as the year wore on, because she could read the writing on the wall.
I am a strong believer in the power of unions to uplift the lives of students, teachers, and school communities, but my first and foremost goal is to educate and empower students to be successful citizens in our society. For this reason, I was not feeling the usual empathy I feel for that teachers who are unfairly singled out for political reasons. It seemed like the teacher was someone who passively accepted the developments in her career