Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

California, Will We Keep Up? � InterACT

California, Will We Keep Up? � InterACT

California, Will We Keep Up?

I’ve spent the past couple days in Seattle, at the summer conference of the National Staff Development Council(NSDC). As a California teacher, I’m a rarity here. If Californians were represented proportionally at this conference, I’d expect that we’d be around 10% of the participants, and given that the conference is on the West Coast, you might even think there would be more of us. Instead, I found myself outnumbered by the contingent from Guam in one session on Monday morning, and the lone Californian in a group of 35 educators on Tuesday morning.
I know there are budget issues and a weak economy, but that’s true in the other states as well. What I fear is that as a state, California does not understand and does not commit itself to the professional development of its teaching force.
Some legislators and school boards, along with the voters they answer to, may not understand exactly why