Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

'If I were a rich man' | Philadelphia Public School Notebook

'If I were a rich man' | Philadelphia Public School Notebook

'If I were a rich man'

by f on Jun 02 2010
Lately when I think of the voucher or charter school movement, I hear Tevye from The Fiddler on the Roof singing, “If I Were a Rich Man.” This song became stuck in my head after reading in the Philadelphia Inquirer about the astronomical amounts of money donated to the gubernatorial campaign of State Senator Anthony Williams, primarily by three Bala Cynwyd businessmen.
According to the Inquirer, "The donations came from Students First, a Wynnewood-based PAC that promotes ‘school choice’ and the use of state funds to finance tuition at nonpublic schools. The PAC has been used by Joel Greenberg, Arthur Dantchik, and Jeff Yass, all executives at Susquehanna International Group L.L.P. as a vehicle to send money to Williams of Philadelphia.” These three individuals along with two other wealthy businessmen