Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Daily Kos: Ravitch: �The Death and Life of the Great American School System

Daily Kos: Ravitch: �The Death and Life of the Great American School System

Ravitch:  The Death and Life of the Great American School System

Digg this! Tweet this submit to reddit Share This

Sun Feb 28, 2010 at 02:20:35 AM PST

My support for NCLB remained strong until November 30, 2006.  I can pinpoint the date exactly because that was the day I realized that NCLB was a failure.
This is a book review.  Those words appear on p.99, which however odd a starting point is critical.  I learned about this event contemporaneously from the late Gerald Bracey, who informed some of us by email and many more in this Huffington Post blog.  At a conference at the American Enterprise Institute called to answer the question of whether No Child Left Behind was working, we learn from Bracey
Charged with summarizing the day, former assistant secretary of education for Bush I, Diane Ravitch, declared that the answer to the conference title's question was clearly, "No!"
That began an intellectual transformation that leads to the outstanding new book, The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education.  I will explore the book, the author and the implications of her transformation.
First, let me dispense with any necessary disclosures.  My professional association with Diane Ravitch goes back almost a decade to when as a graduate student studying Federal educational policy I was fortunate enough to have an extended phone conversation picking her brain.  Our contact has become more frequent especially in the past year, in part as a result of her transformation, a process she thoroughly explores in her first chapter, "What I Learned About School Reform."  As a result of at least one of those exchanges, I am included in the acknowledgments as one who assisted Ravitch in obtaining information.  I was aware of the general thrust of the book, but until I received a copy to review had no knowledge of the specific contents.