Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Alberto Torrico: Safe Communities Start with Safe Schools -- Support Cops Protecting Campuses

Alberto Torrico: Safe Communities Start with Safe Schools -- Support Cops Protecting Campuses:

"Education is a way out -- and a way forward. But, in California's most crime-ridden high schools, education is also putting our students in harm's way.

My folks came a long way -- immigrating from Bolivia and Japan -- and working as janitors to provide a better, safer life for my three brothers and me. Like a lot of immigrants, we lived in a neighborhood that was full of fine families, but also home to a small group of young people who were making the wrong choices. So, my brothers and I would watch out for each other on the way to school -- and in the halls between classes.

Today, my brother Fabian, is still watching out for kids as a proud veteran of the San Jose Police Department while my brother, Cesar, keeps a sharp eye out for students as principal of Franklin Elementary School."