Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 11, 2010

For Harris, More Than 'One Small Step For Man' : NPR

For Harris, More Than 'One Small Step For Man' : NPR:

"Forty years ago, the astronauts on board Apollo 11 made history when they landed on the moon. Dr. Bernard Harris watched the moon landing on television as a teenager and was inspired to pursue a career as an astronaut. In 1995, he became the first African-American to walk in space. The trailblazer talks about being in orbit and his work to persuade young minorities to reach for the stars — literally."



MICHEL MARTIN, host:
And now it's time for our Wisdom Watch. That's the part of the program where we seek out those with wisdom to impart from a lifetime of accomplishment. Today, a man who reached for the stars, and is now helping others to do the same. Forty years ago today, America was captivated as Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon as part of the Apollo 11 mission.
Mr. NEIL ARMSTRONG (Astronaut): That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.
MARTIN: Bernard Harris was only 13 years old when he watched those small steps, but at that moment he knew he wanted to become an astronaut. Dr. Harris went on to become a flight surgeon. And in 1995, he also became the first African-American to walk in space. Today, he heads the Harris Foundation. That's a nonprofit organization that supports science education and other programs for youth. And he joins us now in our studios in Washington. Dr. Harris, thank you so much for stopping by.
Dr. BERNARD HARRIS (Founder, Harris Foundation): Glad to be here.
MARTIN: So, what was it about that moon walk that made such an impression on you, the moon landing? I mean, obviously, we all watched it. Those of us who were around back then, like, wow. But most of us didn't take the next step to thinking, okay, I'm going to do that, too. What do you think made such a big impression?
Dr. HARRIS: Well, you know, my love for space started before because I got the chance to watch, you know, the early programs, the Gemini program, Mercury program, leading up to the Apollo program. So I was kind of already, you know, into science and into space science in particular. I also like to say, I was also into science fiction too, an original Trekkie. So, as you said, 1969, when the guys landed on the moon, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and I saw that, something changed inside of me that said, you know what, that looks like something fun and exciting and I want to do it. I want to be just like them.
MARTIN: But there are those who would say, you can't be what you can't see. And for you, if that had been true, you wouldn't be where you are now. So, what do you think it is that allowed you to make the leap from those three men to you and to say, I can do that?
Dr. HARRIS: Now, you know, I'm African-American. When I looked at those guys going into space they were nobody, at least visibly, that looked like me. I subsequent found out that there were certainly African-Americans, Hispanics, all races that are involved, including women who were working in the program but just behind the scenes.
MARTIN: Eventually.