Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Randi Weingarten: Teachers Keep the Lights of Learning Shining

Randi Weingarten: Teachers Keep the Lights of Learning Shining


Teachers Keep the Lights of Learning Shining


I recently posed a question to our members--why do you teach? This seemingly simple question prompted a flood of impassioned, inspiring responses. Teachers' responses echo the literally thousands of conversations I have had with our members about their jobs, about their dedication to the students they teach and to the larger community, and about why they commit their lives to this important work.
When teachers talk about their profession, one thing that becomes clear immediately is how much they care about their students. These educators come to the classroom with a nearly limitless supply of optimism about the transformative capacity of education and a deep commitment to preparing our children for the future.
In describing why she is in the profession, a history teacher in Chicago explained it this way: "I teach for many reasons. I want to help students to love and appreciate history as much as I do. I want to help them learn to solve problems instead of blame others for what happens in their lives. I also teach for selfish reasons. There is no better