Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 11, 2009

'I Care' program offers busy parents options to stay involved in their children's education | thetowntalk.com | The Town Talk

'I Care' program offers busy parents options to stay involved in their children's education | thetowntalk.com | The Town Talk:

"For Shterroca and Eric Harvey, being involved in their children's education has always been a must, but they acknowledge that it has been challenging at times."


Like many working parents, Shterroca Harvey juggles work, motherhood and other responsibilities. She said she attends her daughters' school events as much as she can, but it does not always work out.
"Last year due to my job, I missed a few things, and that makes me so sad when I can't be here, but I tried my best," said Mrs. Harvey, 33, a full-time customer service employee at a tax-preparation service company.
This year, however, the Harveys and other parents from L.S. Rugg Elementary School said they are finding innovative ways to be involved in their children's education without having to miss work.
They are participating in the "I Care" curriculum program, designed by a Georgia-based private organization, offered at the school. The program, at Rugg since 2002, helps busy parents stay involved in their children's education from home. About 13 public schools in Rapides Parish have the program.
"We are finding that parents are not able to come to the school as much as they would like to, but it is not because they don't want to be involved.
They just don't have the time, and many of our parents don't have the means to get to the school," said Rugg Principal Vickie H. Smith.