Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

America Needs to Improve Math, Science Education | Blogs | ITBusinessEdge.com


America Needs to Improve Math, Science Education Blogs ITBusinessEdge.com:

"As a writer, you might think I'd be pleased my 8-year-old is turning out assignments that show a predilection toward writing. And sure, it's nice to see paperwork coming home with enthusiastic remarks from his teacher about his 'creativity.' But I wish he'd show more interest in math. A strong grasp of math, not writing ability, is what I think will put him on the path to success. (If the motherhood gods really want to smile on me, he'll have both.)

I'm concerned about this not just as a mom but as a business journalist covering the tech industry, who sees worrying signs that America's competitiveness could be eroding. And I'm not alone."