Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 7, 2021

How Professors Teach | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

How Professors Teach | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice
How Professors Teach



Jonathan Zimmerman’s Amateur Hour (a great title) documents how college professors have taught over the past two centuries. It is a worthwhile read for those who have experienced the full range of university teaching from packed lecture halls to wood-paneled seminar rooms. And it got me thinking of my experiences in college and university classrooms over many years. I have forgotten most of my professors’s names as I collected degrees except for a handful who have had a large influence upon me as both a student and human being.

Since I was a high school history teacher for many years before becoming a professor, I prized teaching before scholarship. Sure both are important, but my previous experiences as a graduate student made me very aware of the startling variation in university teaching as I stumbled through a Masters degree and CONTINUE READING: How Professors Teach | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice