Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 21, 2021

Teachers I Respect and Admire–Roberta Rabinoff Kaplan | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Teachers I Respect and Admire–Roberta Rabinoff Kaplan | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice
Teachers I Respect and Admire
Roberta Rabinoff Kaplan



I met Roberta Rabinoff in 1964 after she returned from serving in Sierra Leone as a Peace Corps Volunteer teaching English in a rural school. She entered the Cardozo Project in Urban Teaching, a federally funded program located in a nearly all-Black high school taught by a largely Black staff in Washngton, D.C..

The program sought to attract smart, committed college graduates–Rabinoff was valedictorian of her graduating class at Denver University–to train them to develop curriculum materials, new ways of teaching, and to work in the community after school. She and other interns taught two classes of English a day, met afterwards with a master teacher of English and also took Howard University seminars after school to earn a Master’s degree by the end of the school year. After a year, they met all the certification requirements to teach in the Washington, D.C. Schools.

My job in the program was to supervise four history interns, also Returned Peace corps Volunteers, who taught two classes a day, as I did. Rabinoff and I often discussed how the 11th grade American Literature course she taught and the U.S. History course I taught overlapped so we decided to teach jointly an American Studies course for one semester. We taught about the American Revolution CONTINUE READING: Teachers I Respect and Admire–Roberta Rabinoff Kaplan | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice