Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

I'm Not Sure I Want My Students To Succeed | Blue Cereal Education

I'm Not Sure I Want My Students To Succeed | Blue Cereal Education
I'm Not Sure I Want My Students To Succeed




UbermenschI’m not sure I want my students to succeed.

How’s that for an attention-grabber? Now I'll skillfully jump back and lay the foundation for such an outrageous claim and hope it’s enough to keep you reading until we reach it again further on.

Four-Point Scale or Back Hoe?

The question of how to grade, what to grade, or even IF to grade isn’t exactly new in the world of public education. Sometimes it’s set by building or district policy (although enforcement is problematic at best). Other times it’s at least discussed within departments. By and large, however, it’s something no two teachers seem to do quite the same.

Many of the differences are cosmetic. Categories or total points? Are quizzes worth 10% or are they worth way more points than daily work and the math ends up with pretty much the same results? Other differences are philosophical. Completion or accuracy? Effort or quality? Improvement or achievement?

Things quickly get messy. If I grade entirely on objective standards, the kid who rarely shows up and never participates but has a great memory might pull a solid ‘B’ in my CONTINUE READING: I'm Not Sure I Want My Students To Succeed | Blue Cereal Education