Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, August 3, 2020

The COVID Classroom: Anything But Normal | deutsch29

The COVID Classroom: Anything But Normal | deutsch29

The COVID Classroom: Anything But Normal



Last week, I went to my classroom to begin preparing it for teaching COVID-style.
I was fortunate enough to be able to pack up my classroom once our governor declared in April 2020 that students would not be returning in person to school for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year. So, in some respects, preparing my room for pandemic teaching was rather easy since my personal possessions will remain packed away.
My desk is bare except for my roll book, my plexiglass clipboard (which may prove useful as a barrier) and my hand sanitizer.
No Kleenex on the desk since an open box of tissue could become contaminated by COVID-19.
No classroom set of books, either, so I dissembled the bookshelf to make room for socially-distanced student desks.
No need for my podium for student presentations, so I moved that further back and put my reading stool behind it. (To leave my stool in its usual place at the front of the room would have me too close to my students, who will also not be allowed to move to front of room to take turns leading the class. Too much movement; not enough space.)
The podium and stool are crowded at front of room near my projector cart and CONTINUE READING: The COVID Classroom: Anything But Normal | deutsch29