Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 27, 2020

I Can’t Breathe, But You're Breathing Fine. We Need to Confront This! - Philly's 7th Ward

I Can’t Breathe, But You're Breathing Fine. We Need to Confront This! - Philly's 7th Ward

I CAN’T BREATHE, BUT YOU’RE BREATHING FINE. WE NEED TO CONFRONT THIS!



Growing up in South Central Los Angeles, I, like many black children, was raised by my single mother. Our fathers weren’t there for us; some by choice, and others in prison or dead. Since childhood, I have watched uniformed police abuse their power in poor neighborhoods. As a black man, I have learned to just shut up, put my head down, and put my hands up. My experience is not unique. Ask any black man. We have a shared experience. We have shared trauma. We are mistreated by the police. We are judged based on the color of our skin. We are seen as a threat simply for being. 
In the United States, black people are three times as likely to be killed by the police than white people. Racism, both overt and subtle, is woven into the fabric of our country. From slavery, Jim Crow, and segregation to housing and health inequities, the achievement gap in education, and the wage gap, racial discrimination is alive and well in the United States. Americans across the country are now bearing witness to the injustice and cruelty against people of color, that have existed for years, like never before. 
Divided Country
Our country is deeply divided, and the division is further highlighted by the CONTINUE READING: I Can’t Breathe, But You're Breathing Fine. We Need to Confront This! - Philly's 7th Ward