Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 14, 2019

2019 Medley #18: A Blogoversary | Live Long and Prosper

2019 Medley #18: A Blogoversary | Live Long and Prosper

2019 Medley #18: A Blogoversary




2019, BLOGOVERSARY #13
Today, the 14th of September marks the thirteenth year that I’ve kept this blog. I’m too stubborn to give it up…and I still feel the need to vent about what’s happening in the realm of public education
…my mission, when I began here, was to have a place to vent. It still works for that despite the depressing political and educational landscape. And who knows, maybe last year’s “Teachers’ Spring” will catch on and the teachers in Indiana will rise up. So I’ll keep going…just in case someone is listening.
Off-Topic
Most of the time I focus on education. Now and then, I’ll venture into national politics, music or baseball.
Yesterday, September 13, for example, was the birthday of Roald Dahl, a horrible man who wrote delightful books which I read to dozens, if not hundreds of second and third graders during my years in the classroom. Check out this thoughtful article about reading Dahl’s work, Problematic Favorites: Re-reading Roald Dahl. Also, see my own discussion about Dahl…in the section titled “Facing Racism” in this post from 2017.
I also regularly blog about the birthdays of famous composers Mozart or Beethoven, as well as baseball heroes like Jackie Robinson.
For the most part, however, I’ve posted about public education in America.
Changes
Much has changed in the state of public education since I began this blog in 2006…not much of it for the better (I haven’t given up hope, however). Some examples…