Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Keeping retirement weird. Jackie Robinson and the Red sportswriter. | Fred Klonsky

Keeping retirement weird. Jackie Robinson and the Red sportswriter. | Fred Klonsky:

Keeping retirement weird. Jackie Robinson and the Red sportswriter.

Jackie-Robinson-Story-Poster-Better

My brother was always the jock in the family.
The thing is, he was good at it, particularly baseball and basketball.
I had other interests as a young kid and didn’t begin to appreciate sports until I was a teenager. By then it was too late to become much more than a spectator.
Years before I ever actually went to a baseball game I knew I was a Dodger fan. Our left-wing family always considered the Dodgers the team of the proletariat, the working class team.
That was because of Jackie Robinson. Today is the 70th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color line in Major League Baseball.
The fact is that I don’t follow sports like I used to. I was offered seats to the World Champion (did I just write that?) Cubs’ opening home game at Wrigley this week and I turned them down.
And the Dodgers were playing the Cubs.
Jackie Robinson came to the Major Leagues a year before I was born.
I turn 70 next year and I have decided that it is just too damn cold to watch baseball in Chicago in April.
Of course, it turned out that it was nearly 70 degrees on opening day. But, who knew that would happen?
These days I tend to tune in about the time professional and college teams get into Keeping retirement weird. Jackie Robinson and the Red sportswriter. | Fred Klonsky: