Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Makersspace: Making Protest Posters! - SF Public School Mom

Makersspace: Making Protest Posters! - SF Public School MomSF Public School Mom:

Makersspace: Making Protest Posters!


I have to admit. I’m not usually a marching type of gal. Not that I’ve got anything against marching. I’m just not really into crowds usually. (To be honest, when I’m in a large boisterous group, you could say I’m a people person that hates people.) I don’t enjoy seeing marching bands (unless I’m in viewing in the comfort of my home), don’t like parades, I only go to concerts I REALLY like… Maybe this is the introvert part of me…
That said, I’ve always really appreciated those folks who DO march and make folks uncomfortable and disrupt the status quo.
So, despite the fact that I don’t really like being cold, or around large groups of people or chaos in general.. with this new predator in chief taking office, I knew it was time to get off my duff and get out in the streets. We simply can’t normalize this presidency. We have to stand up and speak out for our rights, for democracy. We have to stand up and protect folks who will be targeted by this presidency.

Time to make protest poster!

I may not be a person who like messy public spaces. Nonetheless, I AM a crafty mama. I’ve NEVER made a protest poster before, but hey, I like a challenge. With all this in mind, I reached out to my good friend and protest poster diva Tula Jeng for some advice. Based on our convo, I put together a quick and “nasty” list of tips and tricks to help any family whip up some really great posters in no time flat! (well actually about an hour.)

Quick DIY Tutorial on How to Make a Protest Poster

Check out my Snapstory below and the list of tips and let me know what you think in the comments. :)


More info…

Get Materials

Go an art store and buy foam core or poster board with a bit of heft. You will ultimately want two piece (front an back) for one poster. You can choose white or black depending on your design. I’d also recommend getting colorful art paper for cut outs, thick tipped poster markers, glue (rubber cement works well), scissors, and poster (tempra) paint are also good choices. If you want to make a sign with a Makersspace: Making Protest Posters! - SF Public School MomSF Public School Mom: