Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Why We Must Believe (Our Formation) | The Jose Vilson

Why We Must Believe (Our Formation) | The Jose Vilson:

Why We Must Believe (Our Formation)

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 5.56.10 PM
“Come on, let’s get this done, I believe in you.”
“Why do you always say that, Mr. Vilson, like …”
“Um, because I believe in you.”
“Oh my God, this is, like, the only class I hear a teacher say that …”
It was a weird moment for me. I promised this school year I would change my vibe. I promised myself that I would be more affirmative, more caring, more relaxed, more forgiving. This worked well until December 1st, when my program changed from 90 students to 145 students with no breathing room. I was asked to redistribute the energy I once gave to 3 classes and push myself towards 5. That put a dent in my spirits that didn’t fully heal until Christmas break.
Because this is often the work of alchemists, those who had to make base metals into gold. Or in this Why We Must Believe (Our Formation) | The Jose Vilson: