Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 9, 2014

All Week 8-9-14 @ THE CHALK FACE


@ THE CHALK FACE : 
All Week @ THE CHALK FACE 

About the radio show
Join Drs. Shaun Johnson and Tim Slekar 
LIVE Sundays at 6PM EST and Wednesdays at 7PM EST 
on Blog Talk Radio for progressive, pro-public education talk radio. 

Call in to speak live with Tim and Shaun during the show, (805) 727-7111. 
You can also listen to our Monday "Sunday-Replay" at 7PM EST, and re-broadcasts of the archives every Tuesday and Thursday at 7PM EST.
Visit the @ the Chalk Face radio main page for more information on the show and syndication.






Troops to Teachers is a failure. That kind of sucks.
I learned just now that the military’s initiative to encourage former soldiers to become teachers, called Troops to Teachers, has been a failure. There are legitimate critiques of the program, although not all veterans are coming from combat. Nevertheless, I first encountered mention of this program when I was looking for potential solutions to the […]

AUG 07

Does Jindal Have a Case with Common Core as Federal “Scheme”?
It is no secret that Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal has aspirations for the White House. On June 13, 2014, Jindal visited the “presidential testing ground,” Iowa. Many in Iowa did not know who he was. To me, a Louisianian, it is absolutely no surprise that Jindal said that a 2016 presidential run is “something” he […]

AUG 06

My 2014-15 “Back to School” Post
I started my 2014-15 school year on Monday, August 4. On Thursday, August 7 (which happens to be tomorrow), the students return.  Thus, the three days beginning this week have been faculty professional days. I planned to write a different, more research-based post in the days prior to my students’ return, but mentally, I feel […]
“Doing the Right Thing” for Teachers and Students
“Doing the Right Thing” for Teachers and Students.Filed under: SHAUN JOHNSON, PHD: Musings from the Chalk Face
What precisely is Klout worth, say, in education?
Mike Petrilli highlights the top twitter feeds in education for 2014 according to Klout. Alas, once again, yours truly and the host of other authors on our site fail to make this coveted list. But how important is this metric, really? You might detect some sour grapes on my part in evening taking the time […]
My appearance on Empower DC’s We Act radio on my school’s co-location
Just in case you’re interested in a lengthy discussion about a public school co-location with a charter from the inside.Filed under: SHAUN JOHNSON, PHD: Musings from the Chalk Face Tagged: charter school, Colocation, empower dc, public school, radio
Education is different than everything else
Just an observation. I saw some coverage on CNN about the Ebola epidemic. As with any medical story, this is typically what you see on screen: This guy’s everywhere, right? But at least he’s a doctor. We don’t see a lot of “experts” or those with expertise commenting on education We see a lot of […]

AUG 04

James Heckman’s Research Argues Against Test-Driven Accountability
The Myth of Achievement Tests, by James Heckman, John Eric Humphries, and Tim Kautz is more than a meticulous work of social science. It also is an objective, but hard-hitting, analysis of the testing that has driven school reform, and a warning about the unintended harm done by ill-conceived policies. One of the best things […]

AUG 03

Transcript of Campbell Brown’s Interview with Stephen Colbert
On August 1, 2014, blogger Jersey Jazzman published an insightful post regarding former CNN news anchor Campbell Brown’s appearance on the Colbert Report on July 31, 2014, as she discussed her intention to abolish teacher job protections “for the children” first in new York and then in other states nationwide. I know, I know. On August 2, […]

AUG 02

A lot of great interviews coming up, here’s a preview with Linda Darling Hammond
I actually over-booked, so a lot of great people in the hopper that I will be rolling out just in time for the new school year.Filed under: SHAUN JOHNSON, PHD: Musings from the Chalk Face Tagged: @ the chalk face, interview, linda darling hammond, radio, Stanford
Fordham’s Michael Petrilli: Manufacturing “Emotion” for Common Core
I am sitting in my easy chair on this Saturday afternoon, and I am trying not to write any posts. I know that I need a rest. Sure enough, though, I come across Common Core State Standards (CCSS) promotional slant from the brand-spanking new, non-teacher-practitioner president of the Gates-funded Fordham Institute, dedicated think tanker Michael […]
David Greene Reports on the Excitement of the BAT Rally in D.C.
David Greene Reports on the Excitement of the BAT Rally in D.C..Filed under: SHAUN JOHNSON, PHD: Musings from the Chalk Face