Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Russ on Reading: Tom Barclay: A Tribute to a Great Teacher

Russ on Reading: Tom Barclay: A Tribute to a Great Teacher:



Tom Barclay: A Tribute to a Great Teacher

Tom Barclay with Cindy Mershon
One of the finest educators I have ever known is retiring this month. I had the pleasure of working closely with Tom Barclay for the last 12  years of my career and I have been fortunate to call him a friend for nearly 25 years. I met Tom through my wife Cindy Mershon, who was Tom's colleague and close friend for many years.

This post is for the many friends and colleagues of Tom's who were not able to attend Tom's retirement party, but it is also for all of us in education who have known a great teacher. We need to celebrate these folks in this time of teacher bashing and evaluating teachers by labeling them with numbers. (One of Tom's teacher friends at the party shared that she was a 3.65!)

Cindy and I were pleased to be asked to speak at Tom's retirement party this past week. In her talk, I believe Cindy captured the essence of Tom as teacher and person.

One of the things I value most about Tom, and what I believe makes him most appealing to people and most successful in his life and his career, is his ability to be a good listener.  Nobody does it better.  My conversations with Russ on Reading: Tom Barclay: A Tribute to a Great Teacher: