Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 7, 2014

More on Collaboration: Essential Ingredients | Connected Principals

More on Collaboration: Essential Ingredients | Connected Principals:



More on Collaboration: Essential Ingredients

This is a cross post from my personal blog.
I experienced an overwhelming response to my posts (here and here and here) about collaboration in schools. From my thinking and from the comments of others, I have come up with the following list of essential ingredients for collaboration in schools. When I say this, I am referring to collaboration of all learners (staff and students). I tried to write the following items so that they could be applied to students and staff.
Thanks to Maureen, Bruce and Shawan for their comments.
1. Adults as the lead learners – It is so important for adults to model good collaboration. As educators, we all must understand what it means to collaborate and how collaboration is different from group work and delegation. We must model good collaboration for our students and our fellow colleagues. Administrators must model the collaboration process for their staff. If you want your teachers to collaborate, you must show them how.
2. Shared vision – when a group is collaborating, each member must understand where the project is going and they must also understand how the piece that they are working on fits into the project, as a whole. Each member of the group should be able to speak about the project and each of its part…even though they may not have worked directly on a