Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Unpacking political contrition | BCS in Context

Unpacking political contrition | BCS in Context:

Unpacking political contrition




 On the evening of Sep. 20, 2012, the Los Altos United Methodist Church held a facilitated “listening” and “healing” event in a well-meaning attempt to bring together reasonable minds on both sides of the increasingly bitter BCS-vs-LASD battle.
This worthwhile peacemaking event was promoted by, among others, BCS Foundation Board Member Gil Ahrens, as a way to “lower the level of hostility”:
“There will be an opportunity for everyone to speak and be heard on the question of: “How have you experienced the BCS-LASD conflict?” I am very hopeful that this can be a constructive element in the process of community healing. PLEASE share this others you think would have interest.”
I showed up late, as did a number of other people I’m sure we would agree are pro-LASD. When I arrived, facilitators had already begun inviting the assembled group of 50 or so people to share their personal feelings and perspectives. I didn’t speak, but I took notes of what quite a number of others said.
Since the testimonials I heard that evening (after my late arrival) seemed to run 3-to-1 pro-BCS and anti-LASD, the crowd seemed to be mostly charter proponents. I heard later from friends who were there from the start that the microphone was passed among mostly charter parents during the first part of the meeting before I arrived. Pro-BCS