Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Education You Deserve | EduShyster

The Education You Deserve | EduShyster:

The Education You Deserve


 An open letter to my students at a “no excuses” charter school in Boston…
By Barrett Smith
Last month I resigned from my position as a tutor and teaching assistant at a “No-Excuses” Charter School in Boston. What follows is an open letter to my students.
First, I need to get something off my chest. I came to your middle school for some selfish reasons. I wanted to tutor you not only to help you but also to help myself. I came to Boston temporarily and as an outsider, looking for a year of training in skills that I could take with me to my future home, and to benefit my future students.
That’s not to say that I don’t care about you. Working with you was the best part of my job, and I learned from each of you every day.
I came to your middle school hoping to give you the best possible education, but what I saw at your “No Excuses” charter startled me and still troubles me deeply. I was trained on how to discipline you, but not on the best way to help you understand material. I was lectured on how to turn your learning into data points, but was never told who you are and