Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 1, 2013

11-1-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:

Ferlazzo200(1)



Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
I’ve started a somewhat regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention: English Agenda is a site from the British Council which offers a wealth of language-teaching research and online professional development. I’m adding it to The Best Ways To Keep-Up With Current ELL/ESL/EFL News & Resear

This Week’s “Links I Should Have Posted About, But Didn’t” — November
I have a huge backlog of resources that I’ve been planning to post about in this blog but, just because of time constraints, have not gotten around to doing. Instead of letting that backlog grow bigger, I regularly grab a few and list them here with a minimal description. It forces me to look through these older links, and help me organize them for my own use. I hope others will find them helpful


Resources On Daylight Savings Time
It’s that weekend again… You might be interested in The Best Sites For Learning About Daylight Savings Time.
A Quasi-Milestone: I’ve Now Written One Hundred Articles On Education For Other Publications
In the unlikely event that you’re not tired of reading what I write, this week I wrote my one hundredth article for another publication about education (not counting my weekly pieces for Education Week and The New York Times). You can see all of them here and/or you can see my choices for The Twelve Best Articles I’ve Written About Education.
Smithsonian Launches Game Site
The Smithsonian Science Education has just launched an online learning game site. They only have one up-and-running, called Shutter Bugs, but they list more to come. Shutter Bugs is an excellent game for Beginning English Language Learners to learn the names of animals, along with different verbs. It could also be used for very young native English speakers. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Le

It Might Be Hard To Find A Better Short Video Than This One To Portray “Grit”
Perseverance (grit) is one of the key qualities researchers have found to be essential in a successful language learner, as well as other learners. Here’s a video demonstrating that quality that I’m adding to The Best Videos Illustrating Qualities Of A Successful Language Learner. Thanks to Daniel Coyle for the tip. You might also be interested in The Best Resources For Learning About The Importa


Veterans Day Resources
Veterans Day takes place on November 11th in the United States. It’s recognized as Remembrance Day or Armistice Day in Great Britain and in other countries to specifically remember those who fought in World War. You might be interested in The Best Websites To Learn About Veterans Day.
Using Freire & Fotobabble With English Language Learners
I’ve written several times about how I use critical pedagogy with English Language Learners, specifically using a Freirian model (see “Freire’s Learning Sequence” from this blog and a New York Times piece I wrote). In addition, I’ve often written about how I use the Fotobabble tool, which lets you post an image and provide a thirty second narration with it (see Student Writing & Metacognition

10-31-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: MY NEXT BOOK!"Building a Community of Self-Motivated Learners: Strategies for Teaching Resilience, Respect, and Responsibility" is the tentative title of my next book. It will be the third in my student motivation "trilogy.Video: John Stewart’s Two-Part Interview With Diane RavitchDiane Ravitch was on The Dai