Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 27, 2013

10-27-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:

LARRY FERLAZZO’S WEBSITES OF THE DAY





Fifteen Second Video: “Praise In The Classroom”
I’m considering making a series of fifteen second videos highlighting key points from my student motivation books. This is my first and obviously rough attempt, though, if I do them, I want to keep them simple. Let me know if you think more videos like this would be useful to educators…. I’m adding the video to The Best Resources For Learning How To Best Give Feedback To Students.

Interview With Ann Foreman, Coordinator Of The Most Popular Site On The Web For English Language Learners
Last month, I posted The Best Three Sites On The Web For ESL/EFL/ELL/ELT Teachers. I’ve since interviewed the people behind each of those sites, and will be publishing them over the next few weeks. Two weeks ago, I published my interview with David Deubelbeiss, the founder of EFL Classroom 2.0. Last week, I posted responses from Michelle Henry from Ressources Pour Le College En Anglais. And, toda


October’s Best Posts From This Blog
I regularly highlight my picks for the most useful posts for each month — not including “The Best…” lists. I also use some of them in a more extensive monthly newsletter I send-out. You can see older Best Posts of the Month at Websites Of The Month (more recent lists can be found here). Here are some of the posts I personally think are the best, and most helpful, ones I’ve written during this pas

The Best Ideas For Using Games In The ESL/EFL/ELL Classroom
I have many “Best” lists related to using online games with English Language Learners, and you can find them all at A Collection Of “The Best…” Lists On Learning Games. I’ve also written a lot and published a number of posts and resources related to playing non-online games in the classroom, but just realized I had never brought them all together in one place. Here they are (feel free to offer mo

GIF: “Sneaky Seal”
I have a “The Best” list called The Best Video Clips Of Sneaky Critters that includes great clips to show to English Language Learners and then have them describe what they see. I also use them in my IB Theory of Knowledge class in a discussion about if animals have ethics. Here’s a new addition:

Here Are Some More Vocabulary Videos By ELLs
Over the past week, I’ve posted examples of short vocabulary videos created by my English Language Learner students. They used either Vine or Instagram. On Friday, our Beginners taught the advanced ELLs in another class how to create them. Here are a few of their creations:
This Week’s “Links I Should Have Posted About, But Didn’t” – October
I have a huge backlog of resources that I’ve been planning to post about in this blog but, just because of time constraints, have not gotten around to doing. Instead of letting that backlog grow bigger, I regularly grab a few and list them here with a minimal description. It forces me to look through these older links, and help me organize them for my own use. I hope others will find them helpful
Research Studies Of The Week
I often write about research studies from various fields and how they can be applied to the classroom. I write individual posts about ones that I think are especially significant, and will continue to do so. However, so many studies are published that it’s hard to keep up. So I’ve started writing a “round-up” of some of them each week or every other week as a regular feature: Exercise ‘boosts a
October’s Infographics & Interactives Galore — Part Four
There are just so many good infographics and interactives out there that I’ve begun a new semi-regular feature called “Infographics & Interactives Galore.” You can see others at A Collection Of “The Best…” Lists On Infographics and by searching “infographics” on this blog. I’ll still be publishing separate posts to individually highlight especially useful infographics and interactives, but you
This Week In Web 2.0
In yet another attempt to get at the enormous backlog I have of sites worth sharing, I’ve recently begin a regular feature called “The Week In Web 2.0.” It’ll be a short compilation of new decent sites that are worth noting, but maybe not necessarily worth a separate post and generally — though not always — not worthy of being on a “The Best…” list (let me know if you think I’m wrong in my assess
Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
I’ve started a somewhat regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention: The nine golden rules of using games in the language classroom is by Adam Simpson. Immigrants’ education varies by country is an interesting report from The BBC. Story telling: the language teacher’s oldest technique is by
This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Good Posts & Articles On Education Policy
Here are some useful posts and articles that appeared this week on education policy issues: Teach for America rises as political powerhouse is from Politico. I’m adding it to The Best Posts & Articles Raising Concerns About Teach For America. The Great Lakes Center has released an excellent report on Data-driven Improvement and Accountability. The Washington Post published an excerpt, Six pri
Video: “Think Back: America’s Immigration Debate”
Think Back: America’s Immigration Debate is a new short video from The New York Times. It describes past efforts to restrict immigration to the United States. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Learning About Immigration In The United States:

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Week… 10-26-13 …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EF
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFLLARRY FERLAZZO’S WEBSITES OF THE DAYVideo: “Think Back: America’s Immigration Debate”Think Back: America’s Immigration Debate is a new short video from The New York Times. It describes past efforts to restrict immigration to the United States. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Learning About Immigration In The United States