Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Do You Assume the Best? | Connected Principals

Do You Assume the Best? | Connected Principals:

Do You Assume the Best?

August 17, 2013
By 
8307201679_db50c593e3-1
cc flickr photo by azjd
You must stick to your conviction, but be ready to abandon your assumptions.  ~ Denis Waitley
As a seventh grade science teacher, I spent time helping my students develop the ability to make accurate, and specific, observations.  We practiced this skill through a variety of activities, and investigations.  As a culmination to our introduction to observations, I lead the class through one final activity.
Using a candle, with a blackened wick, and beads of hardened wax, trailing down the sides, I walked around the classroom, asking students to make as many observations as possible.  Typical responses included that the candle was blue, that it was approximately four inches long, that it was bumpy, and that it had been burned.  Bingo.  The candle was actually brand new.  Using a different candle, I had dripped wax on the side, and colored the wick with a Sharpie marker.  The students had made an assumption based upon what they had observed…an inference.
Inferences, and assumptions, are a normal part of analyzing situations, but in the world of education, they can also be detrimental to our school community.  For your consideration, have you ever been guilty of saying, or thinking, any of the following:
  • That student doesn’t do class work (or homework) — he/she is lazy.
  • I won’t get any support from that parent.  Why bother calling?
I’m a fan of a to-do list. (Especially if it’s on lined, monogrammed paper!) I highly enjoy crossing things off as I accomplish them, it just makes me feel as if I am being so productive in life…as if then I won’t have guilt when I sit down to read or go to bed at 8pm. (sigh.)
However, being in a new environment and having some different & new expectations, I’ve got a mental what NOT to do list in my head. Some of them are simple, some, are reflections of my PLN’s perspective, and one is just a mental checklist_98547me reminder.

5. I will not….read powerpoint slides.

Why is this still being done? Heavens. I can’t even focus on the content that is being offered because I am so busy mentally wondering why they think we can’t read.
Instead, i will offer witty and important comments that accompany each slide and ask if any clarification is needed.

4. I will not…forget that I am the new girl,but I also have a perspective to offer! 

I try to post a positive, reflective quote on Facebook each morning. These are actually statements directed at my heart and things I feel I need to keep in mind for myself each day. I am amazed how many people comment that they too benefit from them each day. yesterday’s relates to #4, “Be interesting, be enthusiastic, & don’t talk too much. –Norman Peale”. Being new is intimidating. I don’t know where every nook and cranny is, I don’t know personalities…but I will. And it’s ok to not know for a few weeks. I can be quiet, take it all in and do what is asked of me until I get my footing or am asked for input. What is important is that I remember that  I know how to do this job. I know how to work with teachers, how to motivate and help them through this back to school