Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 22, 2013

This Teacher Supports Common Core, Opposes Tests - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

This Teacher Supports Common Core, Opposes Tests - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:


This Teacher Supports Common Core, Opposes Tests

New York teacher Katie Lapham shared the following letter with me, which she sent today. I believe it reflects the feelings of many educators caught in the middle between Common Core hopes and testing realities.
New York State Board of Regents and Dr. John B. King, Jr., Commissioner of Education and President of the University of the State of New York

New York State Education Department

89 Washington Avenue

Albany, New York 12234
Dear New York State Board of Regents and Dr. John B. King, Jr.,
I am an English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher at a Title I elementary school in New York City. This is my seventh year of teaching in the same school. Prior to becoming a teacher, I worked in sales for textbook publishers. In defining what it means to be a teacher, I have always held the belief that, first and foremost, I must serve as an advocate for all of my students. It is this deep-seated conviction that has inspired me to write to you.
Last week, I administered the grade 5 Common Core English Language Arts (ELA) test to a group of 10-year-old