Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

UPDATE: Catching Jo in double talk + “I’m going to be 65!” “When?” “Someday!” | Fred Klonsky

“I’m going to be 65!” “When?” “Someday!” | Fred Klonsky:



Catching Jo in double talk.

110103_arne_duncan_face_ap_328
People often ask me about the IEA leadership.
And I try and draw a distinction.
I disagree with President Cinda Klickna over many things. I don’t think the decision-making process is very transparent. We don’t have much in common in the way of tactics. I think she is too willing to concede too much too quick.
But Executive Director Audrey Soglin is a different matter. She’s a true believer in what passes for school reform these days.
She had her hands in writing both the Performance Evaluation Reform Act and Senate Bill 7, which together took away tenure and seniority rights and tied teacher performance and job security to student test scores.
And she has a direct line to Arne Duncan through her former boss and former IEA Executive Director Jo 



“I’m going to be 65!?” “When?” “Someday!”

Popout.
Most people remember the I’m having what she’s having scene from the movie When Harry Met Sally.
In fact there is (or was the last time I was there) a sign hanging over the table at Katz’s Deli in New York where Meg Ryan pretended to have her orgasm in front of Billy Crystal.
But I laughed harder at the scene where Meg Ryan is having a meltdown and Crystal rushes over to her apartment.
“I’m going to be 40,” Ryan sobs.
“When?”, asks Billy Crystal.
“Someday!”
I’m going to turn 65.
When?
In two months.
Yesterday I walked over to the nearest Social Security office, which happens to be a block from my house, and signed up for Social Security and Medicare.
Someday has arrived.
The waiting area of the Social Security office is a classic government design. The walls are different shades of pale blue. The walls have random signs that tell you things you can’t do or should do: “No cell phones.” “Control your children.”
Sure. Good luck on that second one. They live in Brooklyn.
Fifty or so people are waiting for their number to be called so they can talk to someone. The chairs are arranged