Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 12, 2013

A Warning to Young People: Don’t Become a Teacher | toteachornototeach

A Warning to Young People: Don’t Become a Teacher | toteachornototeach:


A Warning to Young People: Don’t Become a Teacher

1schools_out1A Warning to Young People:
Don’t Become a Teacher
 


by Randy Turner
Nothing I have ever done has brought me as much joy as I have received from teaching children how to write the past 14 years. Helping young writers grow and mature has been richly rewarding and I would not trade my experiences for anything.
That being said, if I were 18 years old and deciding how I want to spend my adult years, the last thing I would want to become is a classroom teacher.
Classroom teachers, especially those who are just out of college and entering the profession, are more stressed and less valued than at any previous time in our history.
They have to listen to a long list of politicians who belittle their ability, blame them for every student whose grades do not reach arbitrary standards, and want to take away every fringe benefit they have — everything from