Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 11, 2013

Student walkout of TCAP tests coming up this week – @ the chalk face

Student walkout of TCAP tests coming up this week – @ the chalk face:


Student walkout of TCAP tests coming up this week

Popout
Here’s a video diary to learn more.


If any teacher decided to carry a handgun in the classroom…

… then they, from my perspective, are unfit to teach. Pull your kids out. From Think Progress.


Pride in Primary

Queued in alphabetical order, I was the third to walk through the door to the Queensland Legislative Council Chambers up to the podium where I was introduced to Queen Elizabeth II by name. As she hung the Medal of the Order of Australia on my lapel, someone announced : “For services to education.” Her Majesty asked, ‘In what kind of education are you interested?”
I’d been hoping that she’d ask something like that, so I puffed out my chest and said “I’m a primary school teacher, Ma’am.”    That was all.
I did not realise it at the time, but, here I was telling the most important lady in the world that I was more important than she was.
I was a teacher.
I could feel that way at the time, because primary schooling was trying to do the best that it could by its pupils.


The Good, Racist People has key parallels to the inherent racism of #edreform

A really, really compelling opinion piece from the NYT on the everyday racism and prejudice expressed by apparent “good people.”
This might have to do with education reform measures, as the author already mentioned redlining, blockbusting, and gentrification as part of prejudicial urban renewal:
I am trying to imagine a white president forced to show his papers at a national news conference, and coming up blank. I am trying to a imagine a prominent white Harvard professor arrested for breaking into his own home, and coming up with nothing. I am trying to see Sean Penn or Nicolas