Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 4, 2013

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Center School Race and Social Justice Class Issue Heats Up

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Center School Race and Social Justice Class Issue Heats Up:


Center School Race and Social Justice Class Issue Heats Up

As Charlie previously reported (via The Stranger Slog), an issue has arisen in a class at The Center School where a student and his/her parents feel some of the material created"intolerable discomfort" for their student.

I still don't have all the whys and whats about this issue but I am seeking clarification.

I will put forth that I was wrong about further appeals.  Upon examining the Superintendent procedures, I see that only parents can continue an appeal up to the Board.  Teachers are limited to a final ruling by the head of