Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Peg with Pen: Why Am I Going to D.C.?

Peg with Pen: Why Am I Going to D.C.?:


Why Am I Going to D.C.?



This is such an emotionally charged question. 

I am going because I feel as though I am on a mission that chose me and I am simply one of the vessels to help it reach its destination.

I am going because I watch my sons watch me. I see them examine the choices I make. I see them watching me refuse to back down and demand the truth out of all that life brings forth.  I cannot let them down.

I am going because I have been told all of my years of teaching to simply “shut my door.”  Simply shut my door and do what is right for children. This is not enough. I open my door wide. I scream to the world what I am doing for these children - I scream that I am giving them what they are rightfully owed – a whole and equitable education. I scream to the world that I am allowing them to make choices, give input, become a part of their learning experience and become empowered by their voice and their ability to make a difference in this world. I do so because it is the truth and because it is important to model for other women