Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Peg with Pen: The Teacher's Voice

Peg with Pen: The Teacher's Voice:


The Teacher's Voice

Just a short note today. I am teaching again as an instructional coach in an elementary school so blogging time is limited, but here are my thoughts this November as I continue to advocate for our teaching profession and our public schools....

Thanksgiving break is over and tomorrow I head back to school - I am partly filled with dread and partly filled with hope. I am surrounded by testing, scripted curriculum, the god forsaken pacing guide and the common bore standards in a Broadie district which has plans to shove more mandates down our throats. But the glimmer of hope is this - my school is filled with brilliant teachers. And I have been charged with supporting them in making professional decisions. And when professional decision-making is ignited through authentic assessment, evaluation and planning.....the teacher's voice emerges and it is powerful. We must support teachers in finding their voices. We are a force to be reckoned with when we remember what we already know. 

Do not let fear and the mandates create mass amnesia and the disappearance of the teaching profession. Resist and Rebuild. 

And join us in D.C. to learn how:  Occupy DOE 2.0: The Battle for Public Schools.

All for now.