Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

My Letter to President Obama--Campaign for Our Public Schools | The Sacramento Coalition to Save Public Education

My Letter to President Obama--Campaign for Our Public Schools | The Sacramento Coalition to Save Public Education:


My Letter to President Obama--Campaign for Our Public Schools

Dear President Obama:

I'm writing to you about your education policy. Although my children are no longer in the K-12 system here in Sacramento, I remain involved in our public schools because of their importance to the future of our country. It's clear to me that our public school system is being undermined by the very policies that are supposed to improve it. I believe that the focus of federal policy should be educational equity, not "accountability".

I grew up in California in the "golden age" of public education before the passage of Proposition 13. When I attended school we had art, science, music, counselors and school nurses, field trips and extra-curricular programs all without having to pay extra for them.  My children's school years were very different. Due to the fact