Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Defending Teachers and Teaching | California Progress Report

Defending Teachers and Teaching | California Progress Report:


Defending Teachers and Teaching

By Mark Naison
Every day, for the past year, I have posted something on Facebook, or on With A Brooklyn Accent, to uplift the morale of teachers I am in touch with, in every part of this nation, who feel demoralized by the relentless pressure they feel to solve problems not of their making. Sometimes I tell stories about great teachers; sometimes I make fun of teachers' enemies; sometimes I tell stories which reveal that that racism and poverty are so deeply rooted in our history and institutions that "school reform" will do little to uproot them.
read more


A Nurse's Care Plan for California

By DeAnn McEwen
Trust me when I say that politics has become very personal this year; I'm a nurse. As nurses we ask our patients to "tell us where it hurts." There are those who are too young and too medically fragile, who don’t have the ability to utter a word; yet we see the result of an eroding social safety net etched on their faces.
Far too many of the patients and people in the community that I care for are suffering as a result of our broken economy. There is hope for them, and we all have the ability to help if we make an informed decision and vote wisely. Before we're handcuffed by lethal cutbacks and before we become accomplices of injustice and the erosion of our right to protect one another, please join nurses in voting "NO" on Proposition 32, and "YES" on Proposition 30.
read more