Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 9, 2012

Two sets of college standards: One for foreign students and one for native English speakers | Get Schooled

Two sets of college standards: One for foreign students and one for native English speakers | Get Schooled:


Two sets of college standards: One for foreign students and one for native English speakers

Here is an interesting essay by Rick Diguette, an Atlanta area writer who also teaches English at a local college.
By Rick Diguette
A student from China recently sent me an email. “In this summer I enjoy your lecture,” she wrote, “and I know that you care about every student. However, I have to consider withdrawing myself.” She then explained that in order to transfer to Georgia Tech she had to maintain a high GPA. I was almost certain I knew what was coming next, and sure enough there it was. “I really want to get an A or at least a B in the English course.”
The percentage of foreign students at the community college where I teach is quite high―about nine percent are Asian, seven percent Hispanic, while many others come from countries in Africa, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East. Most of these students must take one or more ESL classes before moving on to college English. The transition for many of them is anything but smooth. Some expect to be treated differently …