Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Modern School: It May Be May Day, But My Students Trump All Else!

Modern School: It May Be May Day, But My Students Trump All Else!:


It May Be May Day, But My Students Trump All Else!




Today Fred Klonsky wrote, “It may be May Day, but I’ve got kids to teach.”

He admitted that he could have used a personal day to join the National General Strike called by OWS for today, but insisted that “I’ve got kids to teach.”

He admitted that he will take the day off later this week to go to Springfield to lobby on behalf of his union, but today he has 4th grade paper mâché projects.

I don’t begrudge Fred for blowing off the General Strike. After all, it was poorly conceived and organized and is unlikely to achieve any concrete demands for workers. As has become typical of the OWS movement, they glommed onto an idea and decided that all they had to do is put out a few Tweets and Facebook calls to get people to show up, without doing the time consuming and difficult one-on-one organizing that is usually required to accomplish such a grandiose goal as a nationwide General Strike (especially when the unions are terrified of