Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Missouri Education Watchdog: What Should Second Graders Learn? Academics or IB's Solutions to Poverty?

Missouri Education Watchdog: What Should Second Graders Learn? Academics or IB's Solutions to Poverty?:


What Should Second Graders Learn? Academics or IB's Solutions to Poverty?


From a PYP Exhibition


The following curriculum concern was posted on a Facebook page for other readers/bloggers to post to their email, Facebook or blog sites:

I send congrats to my 2nd graders' class for winning the competition of learning all the 10 Spanish states- It saddens me they are not singing about the United States- they are still counting fingers and toes to do simple math- yet they have lots of time to spend memorizing Spanish states-this is for the Spanish class- I will also lose two hours of my life to hear the various topics of the PYP Exhibition on Wednesday- I looked at my daughters script for her Poverty topic- Basically it was helping a poor family by giving them a bag of supplies and sending an organization to help them-(they don't tell the kids who has to pay for that bag of supplies)-I told her this was basically putting a bandaid on the problem and training this family how to break the cycle- work- finish school- It will make for an interesting evening if all the other projects have the same theme as hers-
I'd like to let the parents use this for their website.