Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

David Chura: Who Are the True 'Failures' in America's School System?

David Chura: Who Are the True 'Failures' in America's School System?:


Who Are the True 'Failures' in America's School System?

"Those who can, teach. Those who cannot pass laws about teaching."

Like most teachers I've gotten some praise from my high school students over my 26 years of teaching -- a lesson "wasn't bad," or a particular class was "sorta interesting." I've even been told that I was a "pretty good teacher." High praise coming from teenagers.

But the truth is I wasn't a "good teacher." I was a "failure," at least according to America's "education reformers" -- that "odd coalition of corporate-friendly Democrats, right-wing Republicans, Tea Party governors, Wall Street executives, and major foundations" as Diane Ravitch aptly defines them -- because the kids I taught consistently lagged behind their peers in every measure, performing well below grade level, failing state standardized tests.

Given the present state of teacher evaluations, with a significant portion allotted to student