Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Daily Kos: Saturday morning - preliminary notes from a retreat

Daily Kos: Saturday morning - preliminary notes from a retreat:


Saturday morning - preliminary notes from a retreat

As I explore what I will do next with my life, after I retire from my current teaching job, I made a promise to several people helping me as I explore - including both my wife and Parker Palmer - that before I decided on any possibility I would make a brief retreat.   I had hoped to do it at Pendle Hill, the Quaker study and retreat center in suburban Philadelphia, but they were booked for this weekend.
And I needed to be on retreat now, as I will shortly explain.
Instead I write these words from a cabin at Shenandoah Crossing.  We have owned here for a quarter century.  There is lodge, a place for RVS, horses, a golf course, some more updated accommodations.  I chose a cabin, not too far from the lodge.  It is not isolated, nor are its amenities all that spartan -  I did spend more than 20 minutes in a jacuzzi last night, at the end of which I was totally loose, for which I am grateful.
Obviously I have internet access, or I would not be posting this.  But I am largely disconnected.  Last night, and then when I arose about an hour ago, I sat out on the deck in front, listening to the sounds -  I could hear ducks and geese, and the insects and the wind moving through the leaves of the many trees.
It is a chance to let go of normal things, and let my mind flow freely.  It is a way of unchaining myself from the