Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

To Catch a Plagiarist | Edwize

To Catch a Plagiarist | Edwize:

To Catch a Plagiarist

plagiarism

Pirillo & Fitz

[Editor's note: Señorita in the City is the pseudonym of a fifth-year teacher in a high school in Manhattan. She blogs at senoritainthecity.com where a version of this post first appeared.]

Recently I found myself identifying with these words spoken by Liam Neeson’s character in the movie “Taken”: “What I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills that I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.”

Now, my teaching career is not yet “very long,” but I have honed some particular skills during my years in the classroom. Spotting plagiarism is one of them.

I assigned my high school Spanish students the following project: Choose one holiday from a list of celebrations