Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Keeping My Feet Under Me and Staying Off My Ass | Lefty Parent

Keeping My Feet Under Me and Staying Off My Ass | Lefty Parent:

Keeping My Feet Under Me and Staying Off My Ass

My “day job” (that pays the bills) is working as a “business process consultant” for Kaiser Permanente. Honestly, I have a lot of issues with the U.S. health care industry, particularly the for-profit part of it, because it seems to be more about profiting from illness by selling more pills and procedures than promoting health. KP on the other hand, is a non-profit company and is all about being a “health maintenance organization”. It is successful financially by doing what it can to keep its members healthy. My partner Sally and I appreciate the KP model, we have been members for the 28 years we’ve been married,