Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, January 19, 2012

JamesBoutin's Blog | Creating a Useful Teacher Evaluation System

JamesBoutin's Blog | Teacher Leaders Network:

JamesBoutin's Blog

Over the past weekend, a group of Washington State teachers participated in a multi-prompt asynchronous chat around the creation and use of new systems of teacher evaluation in the Seattle area. After poring over the comments, I identified ten themes of the discussion that might be of use for educators around the country to consider as districts rethink their evaluation systems. Among the themes are a few of my own personal thoughts based on my past teaching experiences. I believe the difference between my personal thoughts/experiences and themes I drew from the group discussion is clear.
(As a side note: I've said it before here and here, and I'll say it again, the degree of importance we're placing on revamping teacher evaluation nationally is unwarranted. The major conversation we're having around it is a red herring. It's not that improving systems for teacher evaluation