Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Jersey Jazzman: "If I Were a Clueless Old White Guy..."

Jersey Jazzman: "If I Were a Clueless Old White Guy...":

"If I Were a Clueless Old White Guy..."

I'd write a tone-deaf, dumb-ass column like this:
If I was a poor black kid I would first and most importantly work to make sure I got the best grades possible. I would make it my #1 priority to be able to read sufficiently. I wouldn’t care if I was a student at the worst public middle school in the worst inner city. Even the worst have their best. And the very best students, even at the worst schools, have more opportunities. Getting good grades is the key to having more options. With good grades you can choose different, better paths. If you do poorly in school, particularly in a lousy school, you’re severely limiting the limited opportunities you have.
So when you poor black kids show up to school hungry and from a home without books and parents with little