Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 9, 2011

AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY AND A LOVE OF LEARNING « Teachers Fight Back

AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY AND A LOVE OF LEARNING « Teachers Fight Back:

AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY AND A LOVE OF LEARNING

I am not a racist. I feel the need to state that before writing this post. I’ve worked all my life for equality and civil rights for all.

There is something very important that needs to change in the impoverished African-American community in this city. The majority of African-American students in this school system are far below the average of national test scores. There is a high incarceration rate for young male African-Americans and their unemployment rate is way above national norms.

The city’s school district is trying yet another complete reform of its system to try to address the problem facing the African-American community here. None of the previous reforms have seemed to help, and hopefully this one will.

I don’t know of any reform that has addressed what I see as one of the biggest needs for the African-American